Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hunger

Okay, today I am starving. Starving! I mean I'm really hungry. I woke up hungry, and it's pretty much stuck with me all day long. And now I'm trying to decide how to deal with it. I haven't had very many days like this since I started my program a month ago. And isn't this what it all comes to, after all? My appetite?

I had a friend in college who used to take a bite of her food, chew it up, and then spit it out. The taste of the food alone was enough for her. She didn't need to swallow it and avoided getting all those calories. So I tried it. I spit, and spit, and spit. And when I was all done spitting, I was hungry again. And I decided that this system would never work for me because I would always be hungry. Besides, it would present a problem whenever I wanted to go OUT to eat. And I really like going out to eat.

I had other friends who used more extreme measures to get rid of calories they ate. I could never really get into that stuff. Oh, I tried it once or twice, but I wasn't very good at it. Aside from the fact that I thought my index finger was too short to make the whole deal work properly, I always thought getting sick to your stomach was something to avoid. Bringing it on intentionally? Aahhh, thanks, but I really like having the enamel on my teeth. Plus, I kind of prefer sit-ups to the wrenching contractions of my insides. Call me crazy, I know.

Fast forward to this morning. Bad choices for food almost all day. I had a protein bar before church -- timing it perfectly with my communion fast of course (150 calories). I had a yogurt parfait from Mickey D's afterward (65), along with 1/2 of a six-inch turkey sammy from Subway. (BTW, I have them use one packet of light mayo on my sub. Works well.) After two consecutive hockey games, I ate the second half of the sub (350 total for both halves). At home a little while later, I ate two rice cakes with peanut butter. (great snack!!) That brings my total calories for the day to 835. But now it's getting late and I have to eat more calories, but I don't have a meal lined up. I am super hungry, so I am avoiding the kitchen until I have decided exactly what I am going to eat for the rest of the night. If I don't, it will be a big problem. Temptation city. I know me.

I've been trying to plan much better than this -- but we all get caught in this situation now and again. The idea is to work thru it without throwing all of my hard work out the window. And I won't do that. I refuse. I REFUSE TO GIVE IN just because I'm feeling a little hungry! I'm not starving for real. It would be a loooooonnnnnnggggg time before I would starve to death. lol.

Alright. So. A decent amount of protein today, but I also had too many carbs, no fruit and no veggies. Bad choices. And the analysis doesn't alleviate my hunger. I want something satisfying that's not going to cause a spike in my appetite in 3 hours. So I am going to go in and make a chocolate banana protein shake. 250 calories and 25g of protein. That will fill me up pretty well. Then if I am still hungry I will make a can of Healthy Choice soup @ 220. Add fat free crackers to bring my day's total to 1375. Done. Decided. I'm running to the kitchen . . .

Whew!!! Another good day. Not the best day, but a good day. God's day. And you know what? I'm gonna offer up my hunger today. Give it a divine purpose, let God use whatever good He can extract from it for something better. And tomorrow I will plan better. Yea. A good day.

P.S. to my yesterday Anonymous: Stick with me and soon you'll see, just how skinny we can be! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, Yesterday was a mountain to climb wasn't it? Always hungary - never satisfied! The human condition - always looking for something to satisfy us. yesterday or the day before, it was transferred to food. You did good - the right thing. Tested a few things, tried something else - all the right choices. You really did good! As you said you didn't through the water out with the baby or something like that. New day! You are on the right path be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider reading: Hebrews 12: 1

    ReplyDelete