Monday, March 29, 2010

Ku-Ku-Kachoo

I don't do well when I'm sick. I am a big baby, and generally complain and complain to anyone who will listen. And it was no different last week.

On Tuesday I sneezed 4 times in a row as I hopped into a friend's car to run some errands. And that was that. Full on head cold, complete with a horrible taste in my mouth. I got the chills, I was congested, I got a headache- it was terrible. I spent the whole day Thursday in bed!

On Friday I forced myself to get up and get moving. Got in a light skate in the morning. Just 20 minutes, but it felt good. Then I had some wonderful women come to visit me for the weekend. One of them had me try a "neti pot." Yes, a neti pot. An extraordinary experience, let me tell you! It's like a teapot. You fill it with warm salt water, and while tipping your head sideways over a sink, you hold the pot to your nostril and pour the water in. It fills up your nose, chokes through the back of your sinuses and comes out the other side of your nose.

Needless to say, I wasn't sure this was going to be terribly effective. In fact, it took some doing initially because my nose was THAT plugged. I sort of gurgled and choked it through. I couldn't breathe and was blowing bubbles with my nose back in to the pot. And then something crazy happened. It worked! It actually worked! Shocker! It drained immediately. I am seriously bowled over by this. And you should all try it. Not kidding! As much as I hate this word, the phrase "booger buster" keeps coming to my mind. lol.

In spite of the killer cold, I managed to make it through the week without doing any damage to my calorie schedule. AND I got through a weekend of good company and good food (and lots of it) without put on any weight. 199 this morning. Actually, I was 198.6 over the weekend, and I was really pumped. But that was apparently a major, major fluke. But that's okay. It's coming and I know it. I worked super hard today with my trainer, then skated for 35 minutes. I am on the tail end of this wicked cold and I'm exhausted, but I know the good numbers are coming.

So hurray for me!!!! Right? Right! I'll keep at it all week. I would like to be at 196 next Monday, but realize I should focus on one pound at a time. One pound at a time. Just the one. I just get anxious. You know me.

So, I am going to relax and hang out tonight. I think I need to work hard at staying healthy, or I will lose track of what I am trying to do. So I will keep you tabbed. Have a spectacular week. It's finally spring! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment