Saturday, June 13, 2009

Nobody Does It Better


I'm talking about fish. Deep fried. Beer-battered. And nobody does beer-battered, deep fried fish better than my friend R.B. And his daughter graduated this year, so they had a grad party. But there was NO WAY my friend could get away with any other fare, so that' s what it was.

Of all of the graduation parties and other events I have attended, I knew this was going to be the toughest. I saved up a BUNCH of my calories over a couple of days so that I could indulge in this fish. And I did. And it was absolutely fabulous, mouth-watering, and worth every single stinkin' calorie it contained. I had two pieces. Seriously. Totally worth it. Every other time I have given in to a whim or indulgence, I have walked away dissatisfied. Not today, my friends. Not today. He he he he. Yum, yum!

Which leads me to tell you that one of the most amazing lessons I have learned on this journey has been to stop. Just stop. Every time you eat or want to. Stop, stop, stop. Think, think, think. WHY am I hungry? WHEN did I eat last? HOW many calories have I eaten so far today? WHICH foods should I eat?

And that's not all. I can't tell you how many times over these months that I have started eating something and I realize it doesn't taste very good. Again, I stop. Throw it away. I don't finish it. Done. I realize that's a bit of a waste, but I refuse to waste calories on food that doesn't taste good. I want to love what I'm eating. And if I don't, forget it. I'm not going to finish it. It's a great habit to get into, and forces me to give greater thought to what I'm putting in my mouth.

I did okay at the party. Had a little too many calories later, but I am still okay. I've had a pretty good few days. If I can hold out through the wedding tomorrow I'll be in great shape. For calories anyway. Struggling with my exercise. Feeling lazy and unmotivated. My morning walking partner has a serious injury. Something called anterior tibula tendinitis - a big deal. So she is out for a while. And I have to believe God is forcing my hand and making me self-reliant. Again. So I'm going to try and get busy. Tomorrow is probably out because the wedding and travel time will eat up my whole day, but Monday is the beginning of a new week. I just have to do it.

So tonight as I lay my head down, I just say "Thank you Lord, for the progress I have made. Thanks for the great fish today, too. And Lord, I just ask you to please stand by me, smack me with your staff to keep me on track with my weight loss program, because I'm really just a stupid sheep. :) Thanks Lord. I trust you. I know you hear me. And I know you want me to be healthy. So thanks."

2 comments:

  1. You have a LOT more strength then I do at this time. I gave up the monitoring of the weight for this week. TOOOOOO stressful. RB says thanks and anytime you want to save up the calories just call and he will cook again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To R.B.'s person of value. . .
    I'm coming up for a visit. How about me?
    Woody's mom

    ReplyDelete