Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Maintaining


I gave up drinking coffee over the course of the winter. I love the taste. I love it even more when you mix in those ever-so-tasty flavored creams. My favorite is one of the seasonal flavors - Pumpkin Pie Spice. I know, I know. That seems a little much to be drinking. It's actually pretty good though, as are all of the newest flavors.

I started drinking coffee again during my trip to Denver this summer. I quickly learned that I needed artificial assistance in the form of coffee if I wanted to keep up with the teenagers on this trip. There used to be a time I could burn the oil at both ends -- staying up late, getting up early-- and still managing to maintain enough mental stamina that I made sense when I talked. NOT SO when you're in your 40's. So my option was to drag all day or perk up immediately. Ok. Coffee it is.

I have gone from energy tea and a protein bar each morning to coffee with flavored cream. I tell myself that it's just fine, but I'd like to get rid of this little addiction when school starts here in God's country. And while I'm at it, I will get better control of my diet. I won't be tempted with coconut m&m's and cheetos and hot tamales candy. I have another 2 weeks before school starts. I have two rounds of company in between that time, and one back-to-hockey season picnic. The first round of company wants to watch their calories but loves a great meal -- so we'll see how that goes. Since there are 16 of them, it's almost unavoidable that there's going to be extra little treats around. The second group is family for Labor Day Weekend. I can easily work around that. And the picnik, well that's a pot-luck. Unless I eat before hand I am in trouble that day.

The good news is that I am back into a pretty solid walking routine. That doesn't mean every day, it means three days or four days in a row, then off two. I don't have any intention of beating myself up over this. My summer has exceeded temptation in a way that not many people have to experience. I have done OK. Not great, but I have done ok. I am maintaining at about 186. And I know once my normal routine comes back around I will be well on my way to losing again.

Until then, just so you know, the new limited edition coconut m&m's are out of this world! They taste like tiny little Mounds candy bars. Stay away from them if you know what's good for you! :) And I'll be back again soon. Take care and enjoy life this week! Maybe add a little cream to your coffee! :)

1 comment:

  1. I stubbled onto your site through a mutal follower of our blogs.

    I am totally addicted to those Pumpkin Spice Latte's from Starbucks...but who can afford all those calories.

    I just posted on my blog a SUGARFREE Pumpkin Spice Syrup for coffee, and it only has 1 (yes, one) calorie per teaspoon.

    And like you said, sometimes we all need a little pick me up!

    Keep blogging!!

    ReplyDelete